Employment Contact Info
Virginia Sports Hall of Fame & Museum
PO Box 370
Portsmouth, VA 23705
The Bookkeeper/Accounting Coordinator is a member of the Virginia Sports Hall of Fame & Museum administrative team and is responsible for execution of financial and accounting initiatives to include: financial management, accounting functions, internal controls, financial reporting and planning, budgeting, banking, taxes, and an annual external audit. This position is responsible for the daily transactions to include: accounts payable, accounts receivable and payroll. This position reports to the Director of Museum Operations and has regular interaction with vendors, donors, colleagues, the management team and the board of directors. This position requires a highly motivated and skilled professional who is seeking an opportunity to learn and grow in a supportive team environment. The ideal candidate for this position will have skill and experience working in a hands-on capacity.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Five years of relevant work experience, including at least two years of accounting experience working with a nonprofit organization.
• Possess the utmost personal integrity
• Ability to work effectively in a team oriented environment.
• Excellent communications skills, both oral and written. Ability to communicate professionally with non-financial and financially sophisticated team members, including staff, volunteers, and trustees
• Excellent judgment and analytical abilities to anticipate and promptly address organizational needs
• Skill in operating or ability to learn the various software programs utilized by VSHFM, including QuickBooks, Counter Point, Microsoft Office; Excel, PowerPoint and Word.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced and at times stressful work environment, utilizing good time and project management skills.
• Must be able to organize and execute policies and procedures as planned while maintaining flexibility.
Hours: Full-time, exempt position. This position will need to report Monday through Friday, some evenings and weekends will be required.
To apply for this position, please submit your resume by responding to this advertisement via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
No telephone calls, please. Learn more about our organization at www.vshfm.com.
The Virginia Sports Hall of Fame & Museum seeks enthusiastic, self-motivated individual to coordinate fundraising and development activities for the Hall of Fame & Museum. The primary responsibility of the Development Coordinator will be to support the Development Department, President and Board of Directors in all fundraising efforts of VSHFM including individual, corporate, foundation, NAP credit donations and event management. This position is also responsible for providing administrative assistance to the Board of Directors and coordinating the Hall of Fame event process with President, Marketing Coordinator and other key staff.
The Development Coordinator also will assist with community outreach. The ideal candidate will have excellent communication skills, both oral and written, be highly organized and have strong people skills. Computer proficiency is required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Assist in the development of cultivation, stewardship and solicitation approaches for donors and community prospects.
- Manage mass outreach efforts such as our Annual Year End Mail Campaigns as well as monthly and quarterly newsletter mailings.
- Manage NAP Credit Process and attend annual NAP meeting.
- Process all donations from multiple sources (mail, website, NAP) and produce weekly and monthly reports.
- Generate and mail gift acknowledgments and year-end tax letters.
- Manage the eTapestry database; resolve any data, gift acknowledgment or income balance issues as well as efficiency of data and accuracy of addresses
- Track development activities for effectiveness and donor progression
- Assist Marketing team when needed with writing and editing content for relevant media and collateral including print newsletter, press releases, solicitation letters and other materials.
- Assist in the creation of development/fundraising materials to effectively communicate the mission and vision of VSHFM as needed
- Provide support for all outreach events event associated with the Hall of Fame Weekend: responsibilities including organizing logistics, producing correspondences, tracking responses, making follow-up calls as needed, overseeing event planning and production.
- Create and update the Board Notebook and all board materials including Board website, management reports and board track board giving.
- Responsible for transcribing, editing and posting minutes for Board, Leadership, Management and other meetings as needed.
- Filing, photocopying, faxing and other administrative tasks as needed.
Position Requirements: Experience working for a non-profit organization and/or development/event management is a plus. A valid driver’s license is required. Hours may vary. Flexibility is needed. Some weekends and evenings will be required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Minimum of two year’s non-profit experience preferred.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office.
- Good organizational skills.
- Schedule flexibility, with the ability to work nights and weekends as required by the business needs of the Development Department and the Management Team.
- Ability to attend to details.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to interact effectively and tactfully with staff, Trustees, donors, and the public.
- Excellent time and project management skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a diverse group of dedicated individuals.
- Flexible, possessing a good sense of humor is a plus.
Part-time Museum Guide
The Virginia Sports Hall of Fame & Museum seeks enthusiastic individuals to perform front-line visitor services functions on an hourly, part-time basis. Duties include interpreting exhibits, providing visitor information and conducting demonstrations and tours. Candidates must have excellent public speaking skills, customer service experience, experience leading large groups and must be able to interact with the visitors of all ages including a large number of children. Must be available to work weekdays, holidays and weekends.
Submit your resume with a cover letter to Elizabeth Goodwin at email@example.com
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
The Virginia Sports Hall of Fame & Museum has relationships with regional colleges and universities and offers several opportunities for students interested in serving as Interns. Intern programs include:
- Marketing - Assist with the development and implementation of public relations and promotional projects.
- Education - Assist with development of programs, instructional projects and field trips for students from across the region.
The Virginia Sports Hall of Fame & Museum is looking for volunteers. If you are interested in volunteering please visit our Volunteer Center.
*While we do have both internship and volunteer positions, we are not accepting new interns or volunteers at this time.*